Import your LastPass data into Codebook
You can import your passwords and other data from LastPass into Codebook.
This feature is only supported on macOS and Windows, but you can the sync your data over to Codebook on Android and iOS after completing the import process.
How it works:
Your LastPass logins and passwords will be imported as Entry records in Codebook
- Codebook will create Categories for any folders you had in LastPass
- Entry records without a folder will be placed in a category named "Untitled"
Before You Begin
Caution: You are about to export your passwords into an unencrypted file! We recommend you temporarily disable any backup software you use to avoid creating a backup of the unencrypted file. Anybody with access to this file will be able to see your passwords and other secrets.
Step 1: Export your data from LastPass
- Log into your LastPass online account. The export feature is only available on the online version.
- Click on More Options > Advanced > Export
- You will be prompted to enter your Master Password. Enter it and click Submit
- Your data will be displayed. Copy the data and save it on your computer as a .csv file
Step 2: Import your data into Codebook
Instructions for macOS:
- Launch Codebook on your Mac and sign in
- Select File menu > Import > Import LastPass CSV...
- In the Open dialog, select the file you saved using LastPass's Export feature and click Open to import your data into Codebook
Instructions for Windows:
- Open the LastPass CSV file you saved with your favorite spreadsheet editor (e.g. Numbers or Excel)
- Edit the
name column and change it to
- Edit the
grouping column and change it to
- Do a Search for any pipe
| characters in your passwords, and insert a backslash
\ in front of them
- Save your changes and ensure you save or export to a CSV file (not xls)
- Launch Codebook on your PC and sign in
- Select File menu > Import CSV
- In the Open dialog, select the file you just edited
Step 3: Clean Up
- Delete the unencrypted CSV export file from LastPass on your computer
- If you had disabled your backup software, resume it now
Now you're ready to get started using Codebook!
If you are having trouble importing your data or have other questions, please contact Codebook Support.